Arriving in Vanuatu
Biosecurity Vanuatu has strict procedures at the borders to prevent the introduction of unwanted exotic pests and diseases. Biosecurity Vanuatu plays a vital role to assist people travelling to Vanuatu to meet these requirements.
What you need to know
On your arrival in Vanuatu, you need to be aware of the following:
- The Passenger arrival card
- Prohibited items
- Declaration of all food items, plants , animals and and their products
- Declaration of equipment such as farm machinery and camping equipment including any equipment used with animal, plants or insects.
- Declaration of used materials such as second hand or used materials and tools
Fill in your passenger arrival card
Prior to arrival in Vanuatu, a Passenger arrival Card must be completed inside the aircraft. This arrival card is a legal document binding to the Laws of the Republic of Vanuatu. An instant penalty fine will be issued to all false or incorrect declarations and payments can be extended to a period of 14 days. If the penalty fine is not settled, further actions will be taken for prosecution.
If you have doubts about any items you are carrying such as:
- Food of any kind except biscuits, confectionery , cakes beverage;
- Plants such as fresh fruit , seeds , vegetables including flowers (fresh and dried) raw nuts straws, bamboo, wooden articles artifacts, cutting , other plants products and specimens;
- Farm machinery and camping equipment;
- Soil or articles with soil attached;
- Animal , and animal product;
you may declare and ask for assistance from Biosecurity officers on your arrival or dispose off in the Amnesty Bin provided.
Declaring goods on your arrival
Biosecurity Vanuatu has restrictions on what items you should bring into Vanuatu. Declared goods on arrival that pose a risk will be inspected and if perceived to pose a risk, the item will be detained for further assessments. Prohibited goods will be confiscated and destroyed.
Articles that require treatment will be treated according to the requirements and can be collected at the treatment center at the administration office. Low risk goods can be stored but storage charges apply.
Storage Charge: 500vt/night
Goods to declare
- Food of any kind ( except biscuits, cake confectionery, cakes beverages )
- Plants and plant products
- Used Equipment
- Soil or articles with soil attached
- Animal and animal product
- Used material like second hand clothes or used material and tools
Personal food items in small amount and cooking ingredients needs to be declared include the following:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Dried mushrooms
- Raw nuts , spices and herbs
- Dairy product
- Cooked food or preserved fruits and vegetables
- Honey products
If you’re importing large quantities of food items for commercial use, you need to follow the rules and regulations for importing these products.
Note: If you bring meat product, seafood and dairy product, a provisional import permit is required.Declared goods that meet import conditions but do not have an import permit will be charged with an import permit fee at the port of entry.
For honey and honey product – require health certificate from the country of origin. If no health certificates from country of origin this product will confiscate or destroyed.
Plants and plant products
For bring plant material into the Vanuatu you have to declared that you travel with plant product. The product has to be inspected and may be need treatment or fees applies for inspection coz some product are prohibited. Examples of plants and plants product must be declared as follows:
- Plant cutting materials
- Dried and fresh flowers
- Vegetables seeds
- Items made of bamboo, cane coconut
- Items made of wood, for examples carving , Tapa, masks or tools
- Any souvenirs made from plant material such as straw hat, and necklaces
- Herbal medicines
If you bring vegetables seeds you will be check again with our Biosecurity Vanuatu list of approved seeds that allow inside the country. If new seeds that not from the approved list this have to confiscated and destroyed
Animals and Animal products
All animal products brought into Vanuatu has to be inspected on the you arrival if no import permits provided the product will be confiscated or destroyed. Some of the meat product is no allow in Vanuatu.
Animal product that has to be declared includes:
- Honey and honey products
- Souvenirs and ornaments that have any parts made from animal fibres animals hides and skins have to be declared.
Honey and honey products require a health certificate from the country of origin. If no health certificates from country of origin this product will confiscate or destroyed.
For used material like tools, vehicles parts, recreational equipment and second hand clothes for giving to families must be declared on your passenger arrival card. This type of equipment must be inspected coz this might transfer soil and plant material from other countries into Vanuatu that may be carry pests, diseases, and seeds which can disturb our environment and wildlife.